As the voice for New Zealand designers, we’re here to support you in whatever way we can. One useful resource is our collection of legal, business, insurance and contract documents, created by industry professionals to assist our members.
Members get better advice.
Protect yourself with an insurance package with a Members’ rate from Auckland Insurance.
Contact The Designers Institute to arrange an appointment at or 09 529 1713.
Design Practice Professionals
School of Product Design
College of Engineering
- Part-time at 7.5 hours per week
- Fixed term positions
The School of Product Design at the University of Canterbury is seeking up to ten practicing design professionals to work part-time as Design Practice Teaching Fellows during the second semester, 2019. These positions are for 7.5 hours per week, at times to be negotiated with each appointee, from 1 July to 15 November, 2019. Flexible arrangements may be possible to facilitate working around existing professional commitments.
What You Will Do
This is an opportunity for design practitioners to bring their real-world experience to a rapidly expanding and modern product design teaching programme, as part of a vibrant academic team, while maintaining their professional/commercial careers. In addition to salary, appointees will be provided with office and computing facilities amongst the academic staff of the School, full staff access to the UC Library (including databases), and to our extensive design studios, laboratory and prototyping workshops. While the role is intended primarily to support the teaching of our undergraduate product design students, we also see this as an opportunity to build close links with industry-based practitioners.
Your key responsibility will be to provide design project guidance to students (working in groups), following a series of weekly structured activities and resources provided by the course coordinator (a full-time continuing academic staff member). You will be required to be available for 7.5 hours per week, with a significant portion of this time spent on-campus for face-to-face activities with students and staff of the School. Some portion of this time may be possible to spend off-campus via email or online contact, to facilitate your on-going professional responsibilities, by negotiation with the course coordinator.
Who You Are
You will have a qualification related to the teaching subject and preferably at least five years of experience working in a company or consultancy or as a sole practitioner in the domain. The ideal candidate will relate well to our vision of producing graduates who are creative and have both the technical and business knowledge necessary to contribute to future social and economic wealth creation in New Zealand. You will have a user-focused approach to design and be comfortable with processes around the creation of design briefs; product ideation; brainstorming, selection, development and critiquing of ideas; prototyping, evaluation and product presentation/pitching. You will be approachable, supportive and willing to pass your experience on to students as part of a teaching team led by a course coordinator, through structured interactive classes and/or design groupwork mentoring sessions.
Who You Will Work With
The School of Product Design offers a three-year Bachelor of Product Design degree that comprises approximately half science and engineering, one third creative design and one sixth business courses. The School is growing rapidly and currently has a large number of students in the first and second years of the degree. We are seeking Fellows with experience related to any of the three major disciplines of the degree:
- Industrial Product Design
- Applied Immersive Game Design
- Chemical, Natural and Healthcare Product Formulation
For more information about our department and team, please visit https://www.canterbury.ac.nz/engineering/schools/school-of-product-design/
Why UC The University of Canterbury is committed to promoting a world-class learning environment through research and teaching excellence, and has a vision statement of “People Prepared to Make a Difference”. You will have the opportunity to work alongside members of a diverse academic community and enrich your own professional and personal development.
For information about the range of fantastic benefits that UC offers including flexible work practices, study opportunities and generous superannuation and leave provisions, please visit us: http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/joinus
View the full Position Description
The closing date for this position is: Sunday, 26th May 2019 (Midnight, NZ time)
Applications for this position should include a cover letter, resume and any additional attachments combined into one document and submitted through the online application process. Unfortunately we do not accept applications by email, however we are happy to answer your queries in relation to the application process, please forward these to Lorna Grubb, Recruitment Coordinator, email@example.com
Enquiries of an informal nature can be made to the Head of the School of Product Design, Professor Conan Fee, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (03)369 4078
You must have New Zealand or Australian Citizenship/Permanent Residency or a valid visa that allows you to work in New Zealand to be considered for this role.
Internal candidates should apply via the Careers option in Employee Self-Service: https://ucpeople.canterbury.ac.nz
The University of Canterbury is an EEO employer and actively seeks to meet its obligation under the Treaty of Waitangi.
MARX DESIGN | Senior Account Manager | FMCG
We’re a fast growing and award-winning creative brand & packaging agency that is on a hunt for a highly motivated Senior Account Manager to join our team.
Location: Birkenhead, Auckland
Employment: Full Time Role
Applicants must have: NZ Citizenship or Residency + full driver license & vehicle
Salary: Will be considered based on skills and experience.
We're looking for a hands-on team player, who is able to work across a number of client/projects simultaneously, who has a go-getter attitude and isn't afraid of taking on new challenges. You will be driving projects from initial brief through to end results.
You're the type of person that thrives on variety just as much as you enjoy impressing clients with your FMCG knowledge, creative problem solving, project management skills and consistency in meeting deadlines. You are comfortable working with large corporate clients just as much as medium size manufacturers, social enterprises, SMEs and start ups.
Whether it’s the development of a new brand identity, product packaging, website, a social media campaign or a full advertising campaign you are proficient in promoting ideas and helping businesses realise their objectives on pack and across a broad range of media.
Most importantly, it's your proactivity, positive vibes and commitment to getting stuff done that people enjoy most about working with you.
What will you bring:
- A minimum of 3 years solid account management experience in FMCG packaging, digital and print.
- Experience with FMCG & Retail Clients and a thorough understanding of Packaging and Point of Sale
- A passion for food & beverage. If you’re a real foodie, even better
- An understanding of Food Standards Australia New Zealand (ANZFA) and how they inform packaging executions
- An understanding of, and interest in, the practice of marketing products & services
- An interest in sustainability and packaging end of life in a circular economy
- An interest in how NZ companies successfully market products for export
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels of business, from creatives to executive level
- Mastery of time management - you pride yourself in delivering high quality and can effectively juggle multiple projects with competing priorities with poise and ease
- Meticulous with your attention to detail
- Budgeting, planning and project management skills
- Proficient in estimating, invoicing and forecasting
- Proficient in Workflow Max, Adobe Acrobat and Microsoft Xcel, Word & Outlook
- A friendly, personable and easy-going team player who is also proactive and able to work independently
- A demonstrated understanding of, and systematic approach to managing client expectations and budgets
- Confident in establishing and developing new relationships
- Able to maintain a flexible and calm attitude
- Able to provide direction and manage others in a collaborative way to deliver brilliant work for our clients
- Able to think strategically and creatively
- Excellent understanding of social media platforms (including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, etc)
A few of the perks
- Beautiful, contemporary offices
- Free street parking
- Staff Friday lunches
- Management coaching
- Incredible creative learning environment
Marx Design was born from a yearning to do things differently; to deliver innovative and effective work in markets that seemed saturated with sameness. For over a decade, this focus has been the cornerstone for a design studio that seeks to satisfy both our team’s curiosity and our client’s commercial challenges.
It makes sense that our partners are like-minded disruptors too. Working across packaging, brand, identity and communications, we gravitate towards innovators, entrepreneurs, manufacturers and corporates who think big and thrive on bravery. Together, we create powerful, idea-driven projects that engage audiences, create loyalty and drive success.
Success looks like many things to us, but it begins with sustainability. Products and packaging needn’t pollute the planet. As we develop our expertise, we see our future in advising better solutions for our clients and our environment.
Marx Design is an active member of Sustainable Business Network, Packaging Council of New Zealand, Design Assembly and The Designers Institute of New Zealand.
Check out our work at www.marxdesign.co.nz
If you think you’re the person we are searching for and if you’re up for the challenge of doing things differently, please get in touch today!
Please submit your application to email@example.com
You will need to ensure you have a copy of your CV and a cover letter (in PDF format) to submit your application. In your cover letter (in one page), please include your top 5 most practical tips for excellent client management, based on the lessons that you have learnt so far in your career.
No recruiters please - we got this!
Role: Intermediate Technician
Dorrington Atcheson Architects (DAA)
This is a great opportunity to join the team at DAA, a boutique design-led architectural practice. This is a role for someone who is able to take the lead for our technician team and processes. Applicants must enjoy working with people and developing their own skills and the skills of others. Applicants must have the knowledge to ensure correct practices and processes are in place so that work is produced as efficiently as practical.
Grey Lynn, Auckland
Dorrington Atcheson Architects is a boutique architectural practice which prides itself on the work it produces. The successful applicant will be:
- a team player
- experienced at independently putting residential building consent packages together
- goal driven and milestone focused. Able to organise and deliver to a programme and manage several balls in the air at once
- design focused with a passion for architectural design and detailing
This is a great opportunity to involve yourself in new and interesting projects.
Experience and Education
- an architectural drafting degree or architectural degree
- minimum 5 years experience working as an architectural technician in NZ, archicad
- excellent working knowledge of NZBC and NZ standards.
- have an understanding of the processes within an architectural practice, from design, resource and building consents, documentation and construction
- an ability to solve detailing
- an appreciation of concept design with the ability to deliver this through to construction drawings
- a thorough knowledge of archicad
- delivery of a robust documentation set on schedule
- consents to be processed within acceptable timings
Specific Tasks and Duties
- Work with the Directors and/or Project Architects to develop a documentation set from the
- Preliminary Design stage
- Review existing drafting template
- Work with directors to introduce and manage drafting template and standards to ensure
- consistency within drafting sets
- Assist, mentor and monitor other technicians in the office
- Production of drawings to a level of competency that can be lodged for Building Consent and
- Construction Issue
- Communicate with consultants and review and integrate consultants work into the
- documentation set
- Production of project specific specifications
- Compilation of other reports required for Building Consent and Construction
- Submit Building Consent applications
- Answer council queries as they arise
- Provide additional detailing during construction as required
- Input into drafting standards and set up within the office
- Accurate reporting on duration of documentation against office programme
- Work with the team in the office and offer input into other projects as required
- Actively mentor less experienced technicians
Other General Requirements
- be excellent at communicating and getting the best out of consultants and team members
- work with the systems and processes within the company and help develop these if necessary
- excellent time keeping and reporting
- excellent work ethic, ability to do what is needed to meet agreed schedules and plans
Architectural Studies Lecturers / Senior Lecturers
College of Art, Design and Architecture
The College of Art, Design and Architecture has two permanent full-time positions in the field of architectural technologies and/or interior architecture to contribute to the delivery of the Bachelor of Architectural Studies.
These academic positions call for experienced architectural educators with recent or current commercial experience. The Bachelor of Architectural Studies is based on an integrated delivery of architectural design, interior architecture, construction, building science and technologies taught in a studio-based learning environment and delivered within a framework of ecological responsibility.
The successful applicant will have experience in at least one of the key delivery areas and have relevant industry/professional affiliations along with a research profile.
The level of appointment offered, will be based on the skills, experience and qualification of the successful candidates. To be appointed at Senior Lecturer you will hold at least a Level 7 academic qualification appropriate for teaching at degree.
This position is permanent with a start date of January 2020.
For a position description, and to apply visit our website.
For specific information contact Caroline Terpstra ph 021 735 489, firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close 5pm, Sunday 6 October 2019.
For a copy of the Job Description visit https://www.qjumpers.co.nz/57338/desc/
Caroline Terpstra email@example.com Otago Polytechnic